Wednesday, April 22, 2015

SIGSIG, ECUADOR

Recently I took a bus to the small community of Sigsig, about an hour and a half from Cuenca, Ecuador. Sigsig is a charming vestige of a colonial era indigenous town, best known for its production of panama hats. Above is a photo of the town's center. Below is a photo of the bus I took from Cuenca to Sigsig, and one of the bus driver too.


Next is a photo of the Bus terminal at Sigsig. And after that are a few scenes from my walk through the center of town on the way to Sunday's Central Market.






Below are photos taken of Sigsig's Central Market:


Next are the 3 delightful children sitting at the same table, sharing their almuerzo. They are somewhat shy of me, which is evident in their photo. They relaxed, however, as they watched their mother,  grandmother and I talking together. Next are photos of the vendors at the market, including one of the beautiful woman who served us all a delicious pork lunch.


Below is a photo of Sigsig taken on my walk around the central market. I enjoyed my day in Sigsig, though I did not see many panama hats, or sombreros de paja toquilla (toquilla straw hats) or buy one. That's OK; I am not in a consumeristic frame of mind these days.

Late in the day I arrived back in Cuenca. Half of the fun of my day in Sigsig was the bus trip there and back. I greatly enjoyed chatting with the passengers who sat next to me. Also the views of the nature surrounding Cuenca are beautiful. I always feel refreshed getting out of town. Thank you for reading my blog update about Sigsig, and viewing these photos. I'll be posting again soon!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic time here! Please continue blogging and adding the other letters for the A - Z Challenge (even if April is over)! Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Courtney. I hope you are enjoying Maui. I loved living in Hawaii for six years.

      Delete
  2. Also, love farmers markets. That would be great topic for letter F. Hint hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, and glad you like farmers' markets, Courtney!

      Delete
  3. Sorry you stopped posting as you had some wonderful posts for A to Z--well, you have wonderful regardless. My wife is from Ecuador. I visited once and loved it. Hope to return one day.
    Maybe you can try the Challenge again next year.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking at my blog, Arlee, and commenting. Hope you get to Ecuador soon!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome place. I loved the market. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Come again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Karen. Your blog is really impressive, as are the books you've authored. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a wonderful peek into Sigsig - I enjoyed the visit through your eyes. I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Deborah, for stopping by my blog. Glad you enjoyed reading about Sigsig, Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola, Lee: Thank you so much for all the lovely pictures and descriptions of your travels and travails. Your adventures are amazing! Seeing another part of our world through your eyes is like being there in person. Please keep it up. I'm watching The Who performing at the annual New Orleans Jazz Festival and thought of you, remembering how much you loved it, when you lived in New Orleans. Aloha, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fascinating. Such beautiful pictures. What great adventures you're having. Enjoy your next ventures.

    ReplyDelete